Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Day two at the gym.

I went in for Day Two at the gym. Look! I'm halfway to my goal for the week.

I now (sort of) understand the blue sheet B the T referred to yesterday. It's basically a spreadsheet-style log of my activity statistics (duration, resistance, pace, weight, reps...). When I got there today, she already had it filled out and ready to go, though she didn't show me the thing until after I'd completed the workout. I think that was a good move. I didn't feel defeated before I got started, and I felt totally rewarded after accomplishing everything she set out for me. I realize that this workout may not seem all that challenging to some, especially since many of the levels are rock-bottom, but it was perfect for me. I had to talk myself through some of it (see: arc trainer and sit-ups), but I was able to do it, which was more than I did yesterday. And I sweated my butt off in the process.

I look forward to the day I can look back at this and laugh at the ease of it.

  • Treadmill: incline 1, 3.3 and 3.4 mph, 15 minutes
  • Arc trainer: level 15, 10 minutes
  • EFX (elliptical): level 4, 10 minutes
  • Arm curl: 15 pounds, 2 sets of 10
  • Incline pull: 50 pounds, 2 sets of 10
  • Chest press: 15 pounds, 2 sets of 10
  • Overhead press: 10 pounds, 2 sets of 10
  • Abdominals: 35 pounds, 3 sets of 10
  • BOSU sit-ups: 3 sets of 10



This is my routine for the first few weeks, just so I can get used to working out. I'll do cardio each time and the weights one or two times a week, she says, but I'm going to shoot for twice a week. I'll add minutes or pounds or resistance or reps or something each time to keep myself challenged and moving forward. I'm feeling good about this.

In other news, I'm feeling good about tomorrow's weigh-in. I've done really well with staying within my daily points target, which I finally recalculated to reflect my actual daily activity (summer = sedentary). I'm now operating on a 30-point day. Not only have I eaten the right numbers, but I have eaten the right foods. I've made good choices even when it wasn't easy in favor of healthy, lean, and fresh foods. I've had only a few sweets and diet sodas, relatively speaking

Honestly, I'm afraid to get my hopes up for a big loss or any loss at all, but I have to remember that if I keep making progress like this, I am guaranteed to see the results eventually. And "results" aren't just numbers on a scale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great workout! I think you are in the right path, because you already want to add just a little more challenge in every workout. That's a smart move =D