Friday, July 22, 2005

evolution

If thefacebook.com has done anything for me, it is this: People aren't frozen in the time capsule of my memory. I think we, or atleast I, forget that other people change, too. Not just us. Just because we haven't seen someone in several years doesn't mean that he or she the same as he or she was when we last met. This is a very simple, obvious idea, but it somehow slipped my mind. I guess I expected everyone that I graduated high school with would be just like they were in May 2002. It didn't occur to me that they would change, just like I have. My world keeps on spinning, but theirs stops. Their existence is contingent on my awareness. There's one of the building-blocks of self-centeredness.

Here lately, it has been blowing my mind how much I have changed since high school. I might not look all that different, and I might not even act all that different. But the way I think, the way I look at things, those have evolved I've been trying to account for this change. It's hard for me to think that I've become some higher-level thinking being because of some college courses. But somewhere between here and there, I've gained a new sight. I see things I didn't before. I understand the beauty in things that were bland. I see the absurdity in ideas and traditions that I accepted. It's when I consider these things that I realize how much my mind differs from it's former state. Not a worse state, but a simpler state. And my mind as it is now, simpler still than it will be years from now.

It's comforting to me to think that we are always growing even when we don't realize it.

No comments: