Monday, May 01, 2006

Thanks for nothing

I have been known to boast about the C that I made in CIV 101. I know I cannot completely blame the professor that taught the course for my indifference to the development of human civilization, but wasn't it his job to pique my interest? Anyhow, it really bothers me now that I lack a general knowledge of history. It's my fault, I know. And I have learned a lot since my freshman year, and I would like to learn more. Because I've finally started to realize the immense significance of knowing the journey that man has taken.

This doesn't mean that I am going to bust out my CIV text book and read it from cover to cover. As a matter of fact, I don't know what happened to that book (which was the beginning of the end of good relations between myself and Bradley bookstore). But I am fairly certain it got lost in the blackhole of letting someone borrow it.

I go into all of this because I see that each individual person internally goes through a sort of microcosm of history. This is what education is about. It is supposed to bring us up through all the experience of history so that we can progress -- instead of reinventing the wheel. It speeds us through our own dark middle ages through to a renaissance and enlightment and so on. We go through our own reformations and revolutions.

And I think that's profound.

No comments: