Thursday, April 15, 2010

A mole hill.

So it happened when I weighed in today.

I'd gained.

I know it's just .8 pounds, but it is a gain. I mean, I knew it was coming. There's no such thing as not having a setback or plateau. I just wasn't expecting it this week. I wouldn't have been surprised by a gain the past few weeks, but this week, I felt like I really had it together. I exercised a few times, which is a few times more than usual. I really stuck to water. And I've tracked the good, the bad, and the ugly. And the truth is that, after the insanity of this past weekend, there really hasn't been any ugly. In other words, I've been doing a pretty good job meeting the challenges I set for myself this week.

That's why I was surprised by the gain.

But I need to reevaluate. I need to realize that the surprise should be that I didn't have a gain sooner. After last week's unexpected five-pound loss, I think I can handle this tiny gain. After all, I've kept off most of those five pounds. Even after some really poor eating choices over the weekend. A realistic weigh-in is what I needed, now that I think about it. A reminder that I have to work for this.

So that's my goal now. Just to stick with it. To keep on keeping on. I don't want to fall into a negative mindset, and I know I'm vulnerable. Part of me thinks that I tried to make positive changes and it availed nothing. But it's just one week. Less than, really. It's not like drinking water and being active caused the gain.

When I got home from the meeting, I ate dinner -- leftover Chicken Enchilada Casserole from the new Hungry Girl 1-2-3 cookbook, which I will have to discuss later. I tracked it. I went for a walk. I filled up my water bottle.

I feel good about this.

2 comments:

holly said...

i think it's great that you recognize that all of the things you're doing (the water, the exercise, etc.) didn't cause the gain. have you been measuring inches, too? as erin tweeted, muscle is denser so even if the scale doesn't reflect a loss, the measuring tape likely will.

in the end, your unrelenting positivity and determination will be your bff (not to be your bff/. it can't replace me.)

Cassidy said...

no, i haven't been measuring throughout, but at the very beginning i did take my measurements. guess i should check those again, huh? :) maybe i'll have an inches update later!

i have to be positive. i tend to be negative, but for once, i can see that negativity won't get me anywhere.

and no, no one or no thing can replace my /. <3