Monday, November 22, 2004

bed head

I didn't fall asleep until after 1:00 am. After much tossing and turning, I finally dozed off only to awake in the dark and early morning. I stumbled bleary-eyed to bathroom, mechanically turning the alarm on my cell phone off. Apparently, I had woken up between snoozes. Before I scrambled into the shower, I remembered I hadn't turned my regular bed-side alarm off either, so I went back and switched it off.

Yes, I'm fairly certain I slept through part of my shower. I couldn't get over how incredibly tired I was, but indeed, I hadn't gotten to bed nearly as early as I should have. When I finally got out and was blinking in the crude bathroom light that the shower curtain had newly uncovered, I got that sinking feeling that you get when you're too tired to be driving, but you're driving anyway. You know, I'm talking about those times when you've made it all the way home from wherever you're coming from, and you're not quite sure if you dimmed your headlights when you met on-coming cars or if you even noticed whether the traffic lights were green, yellow, or red as you breezed through them.

I squinted my eyes and asked myself, "Had I really heard the alarm go off?" I couldn't convince myself that I had, and then I realized I had no idea what time it was. I had no idea if I was running early, late, on time, or what, but since I wasn't sure at all what time it was, I just knew that I was late. I chided myself for staying up too late as I hurriedly picked up my cell phone to check the time that I was certain would tell me I had awoken much later than I hoped. Ah, but I was wrong. My tender eyes struggled to focus on the time in the top right-hand corner of my phone display, but once I saw it clearly, I didn't know whether to be relieved or a little scared. It was 2:39 am.

I had only slept for about an hour and a half before I woke up and assumed that it was time to start the day. No wonder I was so tired. The fact that it was pitch black outside upon my waking didn't deter me. Oh, no. Daily savings time will mess with your head like that. And I really don't know why I got up or why I thought it was morning. Between turning all those alarms off, you'd think I would've noticed the time. Maybe I should pay more attention to details.

I towel-dried my hair the best I could and added mousse, threw a much drier towel over my pillows, and reset the alarm. Considering all that middle-of-the-night activity when I didn't fall asleep until 1:00 am, I'm pretty tired. And my hair looks a little interesting after the four-hour bed-head air-dry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's just as funny when I read it as it was when you told me. You silly thing you!- Jenny :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jenny Jenny Jenny. I do, however, know how to read with comprehension tonight. ;)

Anonymous said...

Dear, you need to check out my site for the date of November 24th. I think it'll make you happy!

Justin