Thursday, July 01, 2004

post number two-hundred

Some might say it's a milestone.

I spent four more hours in the library today. This time, I didn't come out crying. Tonight, it was the bookstacks, Dylan Thomas, "Fern Hill," literary critics, and me. I hope I gleaned enough information to suit my professor. But what I hope more than that is that I gleaned enough information to compliment my ideas to write an academically competent composition on a work of literature. It occurred to me not too many days ago that I've never tried to write a "good" paper. I always just try to get it done. Somehow they please professors campus-wide, but I don't think I'm very content with that. I don't feel like I've ever quite formulated a sound thesis and done all I could to prove it. I suppose it is a little too late to accomplish that with this paper. As soon as I reach the eight-page mark, if I do, I'll tack on a conclusion, read it once through for mediocre coherence, and be done with it. That's no way to be. In my ideal mind, I'll strive for successful academic compositions, not just scraping by with last minute spatterings of disjointed words and scholarly sources. Yeah, right. But it sounds good, doesn't it?

Well, it's hard to see anything past this research paper, but those are the things that are getting me through. The glorious move happens Saturday. It's a three-day weekend. Oh, yeah. The Fourth of July would be the cause of that. I forget about holidays. The new week will bring the advent of my second course of the summer, which I hope will allow me much more pleasurely reading. I discovered today that the drama A Raisin in the Sun is in the anthology I obtained from my introduction to English studies course. I plan on finishing Let the Dead Bury Their Dead (it's taken long enough) and then getting into the play. I'm not sure why, but I'm all about some African-American literature. I guess I could actually finish reading Their Eyes Were Watching God, which I never finished because of the end-of-the-semester rush.

Anyway, it's past midnight, and I have a long day ahead of me. Chances are, I won't be blogging for a couple more days. Tomorrow, I write. Friday, I pack. Saturday, I move. Maybe I'll see you after all that. Good night.

No comments: