Saturday, January 22, 2005

he is no fool

Man, it's a windy world out there right now. I'm glad I finally gathered up the gumption to take my Christmasy wreath off the door a few days ago, or else, it would have been blown all the way to 641 by now.

I have survived the first week of classes. It seemed quite short, but I guess since we didn't go Monday, that's understandable. After analyzing the academic events of this week, I might be able to say that, so far, my most enjoyable class has been, and will hopefully continue to be, philosophy. (Well, not to say that all other classes are discouraged from usurping the throne of belovedness, but I hope this one doesn't disappoint.) Being the over-thinker that I am and thanks to the quasi-philosophical mental exercise C. S. Lewis gave me during break, I have absolutely savored the first two class meetings. As for other classes, we'll see. But this thing I do know: I will be busy this semester. No doubt about it. And as I do ever semester, I'm going to declare a commitment--that I may or may not keep--about being a good student. By that, I mean one who seeks to learn and not one who only seeks to make good grades by merely meeting requirements. As much as I thrive on learning, this is so hard for me. I know how to get good grades with little effort, but that's not why I'm here.

In philosophy, our professor posed that question. "Why are you in college?" Some replied with the answer, "To make money." Then he asked, "So what does an introduction course in philosophy have to do with making money?" After a while, I finally said, "It fulfills an elective to get a degree to get a job to make the money." Questioning followed about the importance of money and happiness and how all of this related. We, as students, fail to see what on earth we are doing. Most of us are convinced, maybe subconsciously, that we are on the road to happiness, but we fail to put it all together. Are all these things we are doing a pursuit of some sort of happiness? In some ways, we seem certain of it. But what is happiness? And do we really need it?

I've asked myself these questions. No, I don't have answers for them all, but I do know that I don't believe in the certainty of a college education, a career, money, or even happiness. I feel like it's the biggest mistake I could make, putting my faith in something that offers no promises. Education, careers, money, and happiness are not bad things. But they don't last forever. I'll continue my education, maybe begin a career, and even someday, make some money. And I might be happy. But something tells me whatever happiness I'll ever have won't be related to those other things.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

No comments: