Thursday, August 12, 2004

before the end of summer

Thank you, high school freshman English.

As summer draws to a close (looking back at my recent posts, this is a theme), I'm starting to think about what exactly the fall semester is going to bring. First, I'll have the First Year Leader business to deal with. [Note: That previous sentence is an understatement.] On the Monday before class starts, I'm supposed to have lab supervisor training. Class starts on Tuesday, and work starts on Wednesday. My schedule is one of the scariest things I've seen in a long time. (I'll address the other scariest thing I've seen in a long time momentarily.) Three days a week, my work/school day starts at 8:00 am and ends at 3:20 pm, and that includes one one-hour break. One day it starts at 9:30 am and ends at 3:20 pm. Another day starts at 9:30 am and ends at 8:30 pm. I do have a break that day from 12:15-5:30, but it is possibly going to be reduced by a tutoring job. I'm not exactly complaining. Afterall, I am the one who made this schedule, but I'm beginning to feel threatened by this disease that has taken over my mind and convinced me that I need to take on as much responsibility as possible.

The spending of money is getting ready to kick into overdrive. I owe this to two things specifically. One, lovely, lovely textbooks. I had forgotten about them in the midst of the terror that is my second, much larger problem and also the other scariest thing I've seen in a long time: my computer. The "lid" and frame around my screen is a big mangled mess. You know in the robot movies when one of them gets damaged and all the inner-workings that are supposed to be concealed by the protective and relatively attractive outside are exposed and dangling? That is what my computer reminds me of right now. The ol' Compaq is running comparatively well at the moment, but just yesterday it was only cracked. The rate of damage has risen expontentially, and I'm anticipating a fatal malfunction at any time. I have saved pictures and documents to a CD-R, begun the new computer search, and hoped for the best.

With all that stress and destruction having been addressed, I'd like to continue onto the real entry I was planning on composing. However, I feel that particular subject needs its very own entry. And I need to be doing some non-blog related things, so I'll do it later.

Coming soon: A hopefully more creative title for an entry about all the things I have learned during this seemingly insignificant yet profound summer.

No comments: