Wednesday, August 04, 2004

the real summer

Today marked the end of summer course numero dos. It is hard to believe that I have already finished two courses, a total of ten weeks, and summer is almost over. But it seems like it is just beginning for me. Kind of. There are officially twenty days until school starts. There are two weeks until I will report for duty as First Year Leader. That is if I ever find out if I'm actually going to be one. *sigh* I'm going to be a little frustrated if it turns out I'm not needed. Not because I want so desperately to guide unsuspecting freshmen into the wonderful collegiate world. Pssh. I want my University Bookstore discount. I don't want to find out that I'm not getting 10% off when it is too late to order textbooks from half.com. Maybe I should go ahead and do that anyway. I need to do a little math to see what would be best.

The remainder of my summer is not planned. And I think I like it that way. I'd like to do some more reading, of course. I had more time to leisurely read this five-weeks, but somehow, time slipped right on by me and I haven't read too much. At least I've read more for pleasure than I have in who-knows-how-long. Just not as much as I had hoped. But enough to rekindle my love for books. I had previously riddled my wish-list with DVDs, but I've decided that if I'm going to spend my money, I'd much rather buy books. And for the most part, they are cheaper. That is if you buy used ones, and I am by no means above buying a book with an "English Department, Indian Hills High School" stamp-mark on the top. But what I need is a bookcase. A real one. I do very much so enjoy my "CD tower" from Target. It is a lovely piece of furniture, but my book collection has generously exceeded the shelf's capacity. That is a good feeling.

So what else will I do with these fleeting summer days? Well, I'm going home at some point tomorrow. I'll stop at my sister's and help her with a yard sale, and then I'll be on my way. I plan on staying there several days. (That means John gets to go on a trip. Every time I mention coming home, Mom never fails to remind me that I'm bringing the fish, too. I don't believe I'm going to forget him.) I don't know what I'll do while I'm there. Probably not much. I'm pretty sure my church is having a youth revival of some sort, so I'll more than likely go to that. I keep hearing about the new youth minister and that I would really like him and his wife (or is it fiancee?), but I haven't met them yet. So this looks like an opportunity for that as well. Mom keeps trying to schedule me a dentist appointment for Monday. (Aren't I too old for my mom to be making appointments? If so, I don't really have a problem with it.) But if I do get in, what a delightful addition to my time at home. I should be back here by Monday or Tuesday, if not only because I know that will be enough time there before I claw my eyes out. Upon returning, I guess I need to read Rocket Boys for the FYL gig (because Ken will care), and I know I keeping saying this but I have to revisit my Spanish book. The last thing I'm going to need this semester is starting 201 already behind.

Alright, well, I'm going to enjoy an evening free from the burden of homework, studying, and projects. There is one joy in not having something due the next day. There is another joy in not having a class at all that will require anything of you for an extended period of time.

No comments: