Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I'm trying to write a one-page piece of fiction for Hovie. Take a person you know well, a place you know fairly well, and an invented situation. Write a page and see what happens. Okay, well, that's a bit harder than it sounds. I can write all day about my dad and the Poole Restaurant, but an invented situation? Who even knows. I should've started this sooner. I've had a week to do it, but who would I be trying to kid? I'll finish it tomorrow at work. While I work on talking about what I want to be -- in Spanish.

I was walking from the library to the Curris Center today, in the rain (as if there was another option). I'm not sure why, but it reminded me of when I was reading the Chronicles of Narnia. That feeling of the fall semester holds so much more nostalgia than hardly any other time of year. I always remember it most, and therefore, I am reminded of those fall memories so often. I looove fall.

In between times, I've been checking in on the hurricane coverage. News doesn't very often make me cry, but this afternoon, I sat here in my living room with tears coming down my face because a man could not find his wife after he let go of her hand as their house ripped in two. Because the disaster so much overwhelmed someone that he jumped to his death from the second level of the SuperDome. Because there are seas with nothing but rooftops sticking out of the surface of the water.

I'll rest comfortably tonight in my dry bed.

God help the people whose lives Katrina has demolished.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love ye olde b/f/f/.

Edie said...

We Southerners are in this together. I understand from a Comrade that even as far north as Kentucky there were reported incidents of people swept away in the flooding, including an eight-year-old girl.