Sunday, February 22, 2004

behind the melody, the words don't mean a thing

in my ears
this side
artist: nickel creek
song: beauty and the mess


I like today. I went to the park for about three hours or so to try to get stuff done. And I did. I've studied four out of the six sessions for DiscipleNow weekend, which is this coming weekend. I also worked on my essay question that will comprise fifty percent of my American lit midterm. I feel strangely comfortable with that essay question. But alas, tomorrow I have to get busy with studying for the other fifty percent: true/false and quotation IDs. Eek. But I did feel productive today. I had to. This week is going to be some scary business. I've got something major I need to do for just about every day, and just about every night I have something major I have to do that has nothing to do with the things I have to do during the day. This week will probably make me want to pull my hair out, but I think it will be rewarding.

I feel the need to devote a little paragraph here to music. (Music is a religion and I am its god. No, not that.) But I have to say that over the past couple days, I've found a lost love. Bluegrass. Not necessarily your old school bluegrass, but Nickel Creek and Alison Krauss and Union Station stuff. And country music is a lot of fun, too. It's not quite as lyrically and musically complex as other genres, but it's feel-good music. Hmm, that's funny because so many people think country music is nothing but a bunch of downer music. And some of it is, and I sometimes really like that, too. But country is good riding-'round-with-windows-down, singing-at-the-top-of-your-lungs music. I really love me some good guitar, good lyrics that you can find only in rock. I don't know much at all about punk, but I should only listen to Relient K when I'm by myself because I can get really embarrassingly excited. I can even get into some pop, R&B, hip-hop, and rap, but not quite as much. (I must ashamedly confess I can spout off some Eminem with the best of 'em.) When the mood strikes, I admit, I even like some Celtic music. Other genres I really love every now and then are jazz and blues. I guess in some ways, all of these genres cross over, which only makes sense. It's all music.

Now that I've written a book on the transcendent unity of music, I think I'll get back into the homework groove. I have some perpetual homework to do. You know, the kind that never ends, busy work, essentially. Catch ya on the flipside, homes.

No comments: