Saturday, April 17, 2004

for the sake of my soul

I write not for the sake of glory, not for the sake of fame, not for the sake of success, but for the sake of my soul. -Rachel Scott

Rachel Scott was one of the people murdered at Columbine. After her death, a collection and translation of her journals was published, and I bought it. In many ways, I feel like I could have related to her. I am an avid journalist (the definition of the term also includes those who keep a journal), and I understand what she meant when she wrote the above statement on the cover of her last journal. Indeed, this blog is not my real outlet. I keep a journal that I believe keeps me sane. I don't write in hopes that someday it will be found and published. Certainly not. I don't write because I'm trying to create some literary masterpiece. Not at all. I write because I can't help it. It is innate in me. It is cathartic. If I do not write, that which is inside me weighs me down and is almost toxic to my system. It is a means of survival. I write for the sake of my soul.

No comments: