Wednesday, April 21, 2004

i made things

in my ears
welcome to the cruel world
artist: ben harper
song: waiting on an angel


That's right. Today, I made things.

I made music. I learned this song, "Waiting on an Angel." It's one of those beautiful songs that puts you right to sleep. I have numbed the fingertips on my left hand learning how to play this song today. I don't play guitar often, but when I do, I love it. I think I finally explained my relationship with the guitar to Dale this afternoon. I don't play to get better. I play because I feel like it. It's not some "guitar phase" I have gone through. I've learned a little bit, and that is enough to keep me hooked and interested for the rest of my life. But it's like this, I said. It is like a person who writes poetry but doesn't consider himself a poet. I don't feel like I'm neglecting it went I don't play, but it is wonderful when I do. I play for me. Not really for others to hear. It's what I do when I'm stressed. I've been playing a lot these past couple days.

I made my new blog headline thing. I really enjoy it. The first picture is the same photo I've used in the past in my info section off to the left and as my MSN display picture. The middle one is one I took as I was driving south on Highway 41-A. That's in the direction of home. The one on the right I took at the park on Sunday. Sitting at my usual picnic table, the sun was high and casting neat shadows onto my journal. The only thing I am not pleased with is the title of my blog. I really love the "back porch poet" line from "New Deep," but I wish I had an original title. Keep an eye out for one of those in the future.

I made Freekee Teekee posters. That, the silliest program, is a week from today. Stress, stress, stress. But I did enjoy using some paint. It's been a while since I've been able to get that stuff on my hands. I'd like to do some real painting, not just sign-making. I guess I'll have time for that when I'm old, eh?

Well, that's all I've got on the creative end of things, I guess. I went by Student Support Services today to put in my application, and it turns out that they probably won't even need me this summer. I left that place disheartened, appropriately enough, in the rain. I felt like John Cusack. Okay, not really. But I did go on over to Waterfield Library and put an application in there. I'm sure the "no" I put in the blank after the question "Do you have library work experience?" will get my foot right in the door...

What's tomorrow? Thursday? Yes. See, for the past couple weeks, I've had my days all confused. I think Monday/Wednesday/Fridays are Tuesday/Thursdays and vice-versa. Well, I need to go by the apartment I'm staying in this summer some time soon, if not tomorrow. Mom is getting anxious, and frankly, so am I. Oh, the uncertainty of my future. But could I expect it to be any other way?

No comments: