Tuesday, March 30, 2004

tradition

from the mural at johnson theatre

I love this painting. It is one of many that line the long wall of the lobby in Robert E. Johnson Theatre. The mural displays scenes from theatrical productions, tracing the history of the art. I'm not a hundred percent, but I think it is supposed to be Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof. It is my favorite part of the entire mural. I photographed it in black and white, though it is in color, but I wanted to show how much contrast it has. I love the shadows and highlights of it. Maybe that's the cheesy psuedo-art student of olden times coming out in me, but hey, I guess that's who I am. Anyway, some time last week, I was meandering around campus with my camera, and I decided to go into the theatre lobby. I felt so misplaced in there, and I got the sense that I was sneaking around. I sensed a little disdain from the art/music/theatre/dance students who were sitting on the steps smoking because they know who belongs and who doesn't. At least that's how I felt. I guess three semesters of art and a year of pretending to be a thespian in high school isn't enough. I mean, come on, I took THD104 for Pete's sake... Eh, so I shot the picture and got out of dodge.

That's about all I've got folks. I don't really have much to say, but I felt like saying something. So there.

No comments: