Sunday, September 26, 2004

feeling right this time of year



Mom and Dad just left. They didn't mean to come to Murray, but we all journeyed from our respective places to Calvert City yesterday. We didn't end up leaving until late, and the folks didn't want to go all the way back home. The came and crashed with me. (Can parents "crash" in that sense?) And they just now left. But that's cool. Means of procrastination. I'm always grateful.

Hopefully, I can get some of my homework knocked out while I'm here at work. Sunday nights at Hart are good for that. And I have so much I have to do. I have a monster lesson plan due on Tuesday night. And there are research papers popping out of the woodwork at me.

It's still a little warm, but if we coerce fall just a little more, I think it'll give in. Leaves are turning, falling, and blowing around. I love it. And things, though they range in the exact initial feeling they provoke, are right. Many new things have started, and many old things have passed. One of my all-time favorite lyrics ponders this: The past is gone, but something might be found to take its place. ["Hey Jealousy" - Gin Blossoms] It's that bittersweet feeling that I thrive on. The pain of change gives way to greater things. Autumn is so symbolic in that respect, and maybe that's why it brings us all to a place where we aren't sure whether we should smile or cry, feel contentment or loss.

I could give you a comprehensive list of all the happenings and memories that summon these feelings within me. I could, but I probably won't. Whatever it is in the air, though, makes the seemingly bad things not so bad. And the good things aren't just good anymore. They're joyful. And in those moments when everything else just disappears and I can see the beauty of life because of and in spite of those "good" and "bad" things, I know everything is all right. Just right.

No comments: