Sunday, November 02, 2003

there's no substitute for time

I do believe this is the longest I've gone without blogging since I started this thing. And there's a lot to blog, I suppose.

Where do I start? I'm home this weekend. I had a beautiful drive. Me and the 293 Deer enjoyed our Icees and the colors of autumn. I came home to my new guitar. I really do like it. The low E peg is acting a little funny and the whole thing has a fretting issue, but I don't care. It's mine. I heart.

Last night I spent the night with Sissy and Victoria at Randy's parents' house. That was interesting. Let me just say this: I don't like sleeping in basements without natural light. You have no clue what time it is when you wake up. I woke up at 10:15 this morning to pitch blackness. Not cool.

Today we had our family get-together in Smith Mills. It was a little fall event--with little pumpkins and pseudo-leaves on the tables. We watched all fifty-three reels of film my sister spent twenty-two hours transferring to video. It was a time of reminiscence. Very Wonder Years style.

Tonight I went to Dale's. Good times. I took my guitar and it got the SDT Stamp O' Approval. He played it most of the time I was there. We spent a little time playing some songs together. I impressed him with my limited talent of being able to kinda play the intro to Dust in the Wind, after which he, of course, told me I was playing it wrong. But it was fun. Then when I told him at 12:30 that I had to leave, we went out to his driveway and talked until 2:00, when my mom called. It's been a while since we've done that. I really miss having him around, though I don't know that I would trade the way things are. I feel like I've grown up through the situation. I've really done okay without him in Murray, but tonight, on the way home, it really hit me how much I miss him. And all that sounds cheesy, I know. But when you've had somebody that close to you like we've been to each other for the past two years, it's hard when all that changes. Times change and people change, and it's really easy to lose sight of something, as near and dear to your heart as it may be, in the shuffle of life. At some point this weekend when I was driving, I was thinking about people who used to be in my life that aren't any more. You know, that's a really sad thing to think about. I thought about people who have passed away, people the world has kept turning without. I thought about close friends that I've had that I still cannot believe that the friendships just fell through the cracks like they did. And then I realize that I could be letting it happen, making that same mistake again. I don't want to do that. Relationships like this don't just walk in my front door, kick off their shoes, and prop their feet up on my coffee table every day. Yeah, so tonight, I cried. It was good.

No comments: