Monday, May 31, 2004

memorable memorial day weekend

Mom and Dad have just pulled away, and here I sit in my summer abode. It's weird, it is. I was standing in the doorway and watching them leave, and the strangest feeling washed over me. Like I was all grown up and standing in the doorway of my own house where the parents came for a visit. Well, this isn't even my place. I'm just helping pay summer rent for two months, but it is very different indeed from the dorm. But I like it. I've got my room at set up and ready to go. But not without a million hitches.

First off, we were leaving home yesterday around 2:00. We had to stop at Wade and Day's to pick up a chair I bought from them, and within a few moments of when we rolled up, Wayne Hart was telling WebCo to take cover, tornadoes were heading our way. So of course, Dad freaks out, and under his command, Wade, Day, Arenda, Mom, Dad, and me went up to the courthouse for shelter because Wade and Day don't have a basement. All of the weather put us behind two hours, but thank goodness everything was okay. Then we stopped in Calvert to eat supper at Sissy's. That was good. No trouble. Then we got to the apartment, and just for your information, never put Mom, Dad, and me together to try to move into a place. Dad went into super-sonic mode because he was sure a big rain storm was going to hit right in the middle of moving stuff in. Once we got everything in--dry as a bone--we had to make a WalMart trip of course. While we were there, we decided to get me a TV. Well, we were in my car while Dad's truck was here, so as soon as we got back from WalMart, we went again. This time to get the TV and a entertainment stand thingy with the truck. As Dad and I were traipsing across WalMart, we heard it start to rain. Hard. Well, that's great. Let's load up a TV in the back of a truck in the pouring down rain. We figured it would pass, so we made our way to the electronics. The TV I wanted was gone, as well as my second choice, so I ended up getting another one, which was fine. We were going to see if the Benton WalMart had either one that I wanted there, but when the associated lady called, they told her everything was shut down at the moment because there was a tornado warning in Marshall County. So with my TV stand and my third-choice TV, we headed for the cash register. Manning the register was a little half-Shuttle fellow I'd like to call Blind. Because within the first forty-five seconds of the checking-out process, he told me I was beautiful, asked me if I was single, asked me old I was, and upon hearing that we're the same age, said, "Hmmm," as if he was getting ready to ask me for my number. (I thought Dad was oblivious to all this, but I later found out he wasn't. I'm not sure what he thought about the whole thing.) Maybe I'm crazy, but that seemed just a little too, I don't know, scary. So I hastened the transaction by giving him the credit card and getting out of dodge. But no. The rain had us trapped in the foyer of the store. Wonderful. So my little Shuttle Lovin' shut down his register, ran to customer service to get some garbage bags, tape, and three cart-boys for reinforcment. Before I knew it, these four guys and my dad are wrapping, taping, and plasticking (new word, eh?) my purchases. All the while, the cashier's supervisor was trying to explain to him that this was the cart-boys' job, but you know, this feller would do anything for love, I guess. So something like twenty minutes later after Dad went back and bought more plastic and had to fight off the Shuttle (who must've been curious about my dowry), the items were loaded, and we made it back alive. That was until we actually had to put the piece of furniture together. I won't go into details, but let's just say that if assembly is require, my dad should be prohibited. I didn't think I was going to make it through the two and a half hours it took to get the thing functional--not completed. So by 3:00 am (it must be lonely), I had the place kinda situated, so I went to bed.

Now, I am so tired. I think I might go take a nap. Between running from tornadoes, Shuttles, and cordless drills, I'm tuckered out. I practically forgot that I have class tomorrow, and I still have to buy the book. Soon, I have to resume the job inquiry and begin The Great Apartment Hunt. I've done a lot, and I still have a lot to do. But right now, I just need some sleep.

No comments: